Sunday, November 27, 2005

Oh, it's been that long?

The other day Jon mentioned how I haven't written in a while, when I actually did, but not under this blog. Still three months is awhile, and many things have happened. I finally got a job for one.

Today, I added a bunch of stuff to my amazon.com wishlist. I'm not sure what to do with the children's literary studies books on my wishlist, nor am I sure what to do with the picture books, but I don't want to delete them just yet. I also really want earmuffs, slippers, and a wok. I think I'll have a good Christmas with those items in particular. I've so many books on my shelf to read already. It's funny that the majority of books we have on the shelf aren't the Norton/Penguin classics that I've bought for so many of my English classes. No, they're collecting dust at home.

I've debated with myself the pros and cons of an ipod nano. It'd be nice to have, and I'd love to be for a few days at least one of those people who nonchalantly ignore the rest of the world by hiding behind their earphones. It's just so expensive. Money may be saved toward a ehem shinier smaller rounder object...rhymes with amond.

Also today, I hope to finish Nicole Krauss's On The History Of Love. I love the book so far. Her writing is refreshing and clever. The characters are mostly likeable, and I have no clue what the climax if there is one will be. It's good text.

I finished On Beauty a few weeks ago, and the experience of reading that book was similar to White Teeth. There were a lot of familiar characteristics and a lot of uncomfortable moments for the characters. I think it's interesting how she uses the characters' physical weights in her plots in her books. That what stands out for me the most. It makes it almost more tactile for the reader.

Yesterday, I saw Pride & Prejudice with Wee. I got sick after Thanksgiving--awful sore throat, stuffy nose, aches--but yesterday I felt a bit better except for some hacking coughs for whenever I felt that dust particles were running down my throat. What also made it difficult to concentrate was that the awful neighbors next door had their music blasting until 1:37 AM. I threw so many items at the wall and pounded a few times while cursing loudly, but nothing made them stop. I guess we could have knocked on their door and asked them to stop. I figure since I didn't do that in college, why start now? It's like living in a very expensive dorm afterall. And, so feel crappy, while watching this movie was not a good idea. There are a lot of scenes with spinning camera action, or if it's not the camera then it's the dancing people. I felt like I was going to have a panic attack trying to stifle my coughing (so not breathing) and all the spinning. Once the spinning stopped, and Mr. Bingley and Jane did really seem like a handsome couple--though a bit silly, the movie was actually very good. I'd see it again probably, but not in theaters. Mr. Darcy is ultimately a hotty. I wonder if even a scary truly charmless man could play Mr. Darcy and fail. Keira Knightley wasn't as horrible as I thought she would be, though really she should think about fixing her teeth. When there are close up shots, all you can see are her funky teeth. There's one scene where she stares at herself for hours (the sun sets) in a mirror. Also, her hair is cut strangely. She has little spikes of brown growing out at the corner left of her neck nape. Hmm...this seems like I'm fixated with her looks, but really, there are many scenes where it's hard to ignore. Or yes, it's just me.

Oh Mr. Darcy. I wish Elizabeth in the BBC version were a bit prettier too. I recall the first time watching it, that her features were a bit appalling and obnoxious. Oh, wet Mr. Darcy.

Anyway, the cold weather draws me to read more ancient books, so I want to finish On The History Of Love today. Perhaps I'll read Little Women again, or start Middlemarch or Persuasion.

Other notes:

I'm still working on Jon's scarf that I started when I waited for Shakespeare in the Park tickets. I started working on a scarf to give to Lauren since she gave all her winter clothing away to Katrina victims. I'm still working on my crocheted blanket.

The apt. is fairly a mess. I can't find a spot on the coffee table.

I've brought home some homework. How many more days until Christmas vacation? I am not sure I ever felt this way before at an internship--perhaps it's because school always seemed a lot worse than doing irresponsible work for free.

The dining table is slowly being occupied by nonsense as well.

Jon's bike has not been sold yet.

Laundry sits in our foyer.

Our rice/rice cooker makes really good rice. Unfortunately, though I crave it, there's nothing to actually eat with the rice I would make.

Shh...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails