Thursday, November 1, 2007

Dan Dan Noodles (and no, I didn't stutter)

Dan Dan Noodles are delicious. They are noodly and spicy and nutty. How could that not be loved by everyone?

When Doris and I were talking as I was finishing up the Catering IM transition, finally!, she said that she'd be going to Hong Kong again, which made me bring up shopping and The Yellow Door Kitchen.

First, shopping. Shopping in Hong Kong is easy--there are rows and rows of stores, and it's up to you to go in them and find good stuff and divide the prices by the current exchange rate to make sure you were actually getting a good deal--last time I went the money was 8 RMB to 1 US Dollar. My mom and dad are going to China after Thanksgiving, and she said they got their money exchanged at Citibank for 7.7 RMB to 1 US Dollar, and that sucks. (There's actually an interesting New Yorker article about why China's not crushing our currency just yet.) The equivalent to a Gap in Hong Kong is Giordano, and while only a tiny bit cheaper than actual full-priced Gap clothes, it's still worth exploring. There's a store on Nathan Road--the main drag--and one in the airport last time I checked. And then there's the really cheap stores many blocks down Nathan Road past the mosque--like the $1 bin shop and a mall of Chinese stuff (much like Pearl River in Chinatown--though does that even exist anymore?). Ultimately, the advantage of going to Hong Kong in the winter time is that you get more yards of material for the price you pay (sweater vs. tank top).

Second, The Yellow Door Kitchen: if you flip through the website's few photos it looks exactly like that.

To get there:


You can take the escalator up what seems like almost forever, and then when you think you're about there, you get off.



And it looks almost exactly like the scene in Chung King Express where the guy is eating something at an outdoor table and the girl is hauling a bunch of stuff past him (it's been a VERY long while since I've seen the movie, but now I have the California Dreamin song in my head).



And the sign isn't as in your face as other stores. And the restaurant is on a certain floor of a musty, somewhat old building. We tried taking the elevator up, but we went with our better judgment and walked up a few flights of stairs (it was HOT and Hong Kong is freakin humid). The stairs were steep, or seemed that way at least, and the railings were dusty, but it was so worth it. The thing is, I don't think the door was yellow, but red.



Yup--Red. And I think the door to the actual kitchen was white...

Here are some photos of the food that we had--I don't recall their names, but I'll try to help you guess what they are. Maybe Jon can help me figure it out when he comes home...



Some kind of seafood soup (Give away: soup-like consistency; Hong Kong is an island surrounded by fish)



Dan Dan Noodles (Trust me; it's this that I really remember.)



Dumplings in blood. Kidding. (I think.) I'm guessing it's dumplings in a hot oil/vinegar sauce.



Sichuan spiced chicken. Super fresh!



Mapo tofu. And it was so freakin spicy-good.



I ordered Sprite to cut the taste, but the waiter understood me as saying, "Rice." I ordered a Coke.



And the Coke was really good. (Made with REAL sugar.) My only advice is to get it before your mouth is inflamed with hot-goodness. Get your own cans of Coke--I have no idea what else would cut the heat--water and tea weren't good enough.



Dessert was tofu and fruit. Delicious!



That was a good meal. ::Pats belly:: (Note: These are the steps you must walk up to attain such deliciousness. I think a few flights of them at least.)



It was a really nice place and worth going around the world to visit hopefully many more times. So Doris, I hope this has inspired you and Matt to eat and be happy.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm definitely saving this post in my email for future reference. I was sold the first time you raved about it and this just confirms the fact that we will def make the trip to Yellow Door. Thanks for posting the pics, the dan dan noodles look fabulous and the dumplings too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! You're welcome :) I'm crazy jealous of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dress! That last picture of you was nice, and also, I think that was the first time I've ever thought you looked like your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lux. It's actually a shirt--but it's awesome since it hides my ever growing gut. (Jon's Grandpa's friend Charlotte also came on the trip with us, and she said at Christmas time--like 6 months later that I lost weight, though it was probably because I hadn't eaten in weeks since I was ridiculously sick. Though, to note, Grandpa and Charlotte are no longer friends.) Thanks! I know--the stairs make me look short like her ;) It's a bit scary, but she's almost as old as I was in the photo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, i meant similar in the face.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails