Monday, November 19, 2012

The Incredible, Edible Kale


Blanche up some kale,
and I'm good to go.

Unfortunately,
I'm a very slow cook,
so the whole process of going through
an order of FreshDirect kale
takes a few hours.


First I clean the leaves from the stems.
Then I roll up the leaves as best as I can
to cut them into strips.


Then I try to wash as much as I can 
without it falling all over the sink
and floor.

I blanche the strips in salted water,
and fish it out to dump in ice water.


Finally, I balled it up from the ice water bath
to squeeze out the excess water.

I had a lot of kale.
It was the most delicious snack:
soft, chewy, green, and sweet.

It's better than spinach--its limpy, not as cool sister.

1 comment:

  1. I love kale! I usually roast it in the oven with salt, pepper, and olive oil. My MIL does a lovely salad of Tuscan kale with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh parm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails