Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gettin Stuff Done

So I'm getting through my Monday list and adding some extra flourishes like having lunch with Stefanie at Moe's and getting the Mr. Moo Moo (best deal ever: kid sized burrito--cause seriously the adult-sized one is ridiculous--soda, chips, and a cookie!).

I finished reading In Her Shoes yesterday. It was freezing in the apartment, so I thought it might be fun to turn on the "fireplace"--it was still freezing though. The book was good. I'm happy I finished it. It was a lot better than the movie anyway. I talked to Ellie about Jennifer Wiener's other titles, and I think I'll try to get Good in Bed from the library if I ever get there or borrow Lisa's copy.

Tonight I'll be brining chicken for a yogurt chicken dish with peppers for tomorrow night that Jon and I dreamed up at HTitty yesterday, while making tomato beef with black bean sauce for dinner tonight. Why does black bean sauce taste so freakin good? What kind of beans are they anyway? So while I won't technically be using recipes from cookbooks--cooking is cooking right?

Mail is out, but I need to return my Zappos shoes. I did set up the new printer on the Mac yesterday without much help from Jon to print the shipping label and return form. Go me!

Today I worked on the guest list/time line/invitation wording. I basically took all the addresses used for the engagement party and stuck them in a Google Excel sheet with columns to indicate how they're related exactly; their full names; outstanding questions, etc. Then I drafted an email to my parents and Jon's parents about how they should fill it in/answer questions; guidelines for invitations; the invitation wording; and the time line for the invitations and the day. I also organized all my vendors and their emails in my gmail and on the spreadsheet (with their payment schedules). I think the spreadsheet I created for myself is pretty neat--better than the template Google came up with anyway. There are way too many tabs for the Google template.

Anyway, here's my wedding vent for today: my mom called today and made me a little crazy because she's including her own Save the Dates in her Christmas cards, which is a good idea and all, but I could have totally put together my own Save the Dates for everyone. I feel that now it's just my family and my family's friends who are getting the date and now Jon's parents have to tell their folks to save dates and what not. I really wanted to avoid all the extra reminding and such by mailing my invitations out really early, but my mom said that was dumb. So we'll be mailing it out in late March/early April I guess. I guess our friends will be getting a reminder in an email early next year or so. I mean if people are going to lose our invitations if we sent them out early--they're also going to lose their Save the Dates right? The perpetual cycle of not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt for being responsible kills me. What also kills me is that on the one hand I have my mom who is all about accomodating everyone--and I get it. So we have the huge wedding that won't leave out a soul. On the other I have Jon who reminds me that we need to retain some sort of sanity and happiness. So we hire the band we want though my mom says that no one will dance to them and leave early (nice right?).

The final straw of talking to my mom today was when she was talking about flowergirl dresses. Frankly, I don't give a damn. If the flower girl already has one (which I heard she did), great. If not, we have about 6 months to figure that shizz out. For real. I mean, it's the holiday season right? People are busy with their small children, why would I want to bother her mom about flowergirl dresses now? I'm not nutters. Lisa and Sam have to figure out their dresses too--and that might be even more complicated than a flowergirl dress.

My head spins. I should start brining or at least stop staring at this computer.

Hopefully, I'll get my library card tomorrow, and it will be awesome times.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you posting more often.
    Hmm...not to be another cook in the kitchen, but what about sending out your invites, and who ever didn't respond - you follow up with?

    Or is your mom worried people will just forget? Wouldn't you have a bridal shower, bachelor parties, bachelorette parties, to remind them in addition to talking about it?

    If the people you invited don't rsvp, don't attend any of these functions or know people who will, or at the very least talk to somewhat regularly to ask you how you're doing and what you're up to, who cares if the forget? Who needs 'em!

    "no one will dance to them and leave early"....what?!?! Yikes. What was your reaction?

    Flower girl dresses are probably easier to find and you'll have a better selection in the Spring/Summer/wedding season anyway. But she already has one, so the point is moo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! (And thanks for sending the food blog too!)

    That's exactly what I planned on doing--but if people lose invitations because I sent them out too early and get pissed because I can't provide another set that would suck. Such that you and all the other important people in our lives know the date, I'm not too worried anymore about people not planning accordingly. People will do what they want regardless right?
    But when I brought up that it would be dumb for my shower to be held before my invitations go out, then Lisa was like, well March doesn't seem too early. Err...we'll see how it works out.

    But I agree with your sentiments about who needs people who don't rsvp or the other things you list. Unfortunately, I still feel obligated to invite some of them especially because I invited them to the engagement party. And then there is wacky family stuff. At least it's just this once!

    I karate chopped her when she said that. I was really upset, but Jon and I decided that we'd rather hire who we want than some band our parents want. Having Jon on my team has been a good thing :) What would you have done?

    Exactly what I told my mom--that she could probably get a discounted communion dress or something because it's so late in June. Dressing a little girl is never difficult.

    My head just explodes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. March for the bridal shower? Hmm...I don't know what wedding parties etiquette says, but if it was me, I'd probably do April or early May. Warmer weather, and closer to the wedding so it'll be more exciting.

    Oh, would still invite those "who needs 'em" people, but I meant the people you invited, but never talk to or talk to you for months at a time - if those people forget, it's probably b/c you didn't really know them anyway...like your parents' coworkers or something.

    I probably would have been stunned for a second, then remembered that a mother's job is to annoy the (*&@ out of her daughter, especially when she's planning her wedding. That, and said something snippy like, "fine, if they're the types to leave, I probably didn't want them there in the first place."

    Do you give your mom 'tude or just roll your eyes?

    Also, I forgot to say this, even if you did get a dress for her now, depended on how old she is, she might grow out of it in 6-7 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True that about the kid growing out of whatever we buy her now :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails