Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Twenty-seven



The other day, I entered a contest to try to win a book about Texas to give to my friend who will be moving there soon. I never win contests, but in the comments section I wrote that I wanted to give the book to my friend who I've known for almost twenty years. I've known him since 2nd grade, so I'd say that about makes sense. Does it make you dizzy to know that 20 years ago was the beginning of the 90s?

My friends hate when I point out how old we're getting, so I won't expand on the topic anymore right now...Jane Austen will (from Sense and Sensibility):

"Perhaps," said Elinor, "thirty-five and seventeen had better not have any thing to do with matrimony together. But if there should by any chance happen to be a woman who is single at seven and twenty, I should not think Colonel Brandon's being thirty-five any objection to his marrying HER."

"A woman of seven and twenty," said Marianne, after pausing a moment, "can never hope to feel or inspire affection again, and if her home be uncomfortable, or her fortune small, I can suppose that she might bring herself to submit to the offices of a nurse, for the sake of the provision and security of a wife. In his marrying such a woman therefore there would be nothing unsuitable. It would be a compact of convenience, and the world would be satisfied. In my eyes it would be no marriage at all, but that would be nothing. To me it would seem only a commercial exchange, in which each wished to be benefited at the expense of the other."

"It would be impossible, I know," replied Elinor, "to convince you that a woman of seven and twenty could feel for a man of thirty-five anything near enough to love, to make him a desirable companion to her."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails