Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 53

Baby Vampire

When I was maybe four or five, my mom taught us how to play a variation of the "Trick or Treat" song on a little toy keyboard. I think she threw in some Chinese somewhere, but I can't seem to remember now.

Witches, ghosts, and goblins.
Stealing down the street,
Knock on every door way,
Trick or treat!


When your door is opened,
This is what you meet,
Scary creatures shouting,
Trick or treat!


There's a home video of me playing this song on the keyboard, and my brother trying to help me. I, ever the awesome big sister, swat his hand away and say, "I know!" when he tries helping me figure out the next note. I had been pausing for a two beat count. Jeez! (Jon likes pointing out what a brat I was in that particular recorded moment.)

I tried figuring out a way to convey what this song would sound like on a keyboard, but it doesn't seem like the Internet is equipped to do that yet. I found a virtual keyboard site, but not one that has a record button. Maybe next Halloween.

When I was maybe nine or twelve or somewhere in between, I recorded myself on my sister's tape recorder thing with a microphone. I had a my first Sony, but she had a different device. I forget what it was, but it was easier singing into it for whatever reason. And boy did I love to sing though I was/still am incredibly tone deaf. Or rather, I can identify notes, but I just can't sing them for my life. Anyway, I recorded an awesome song about the night before Halloween: Mischief Night. And how dumb it was to waste toilet paper and eggs. My siblings dutifully played it to our neighborhood kids to embarrass the hell out of me. (I highly doubt it was because they loved my song/singing.)

Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails