Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Little Dorothy Parker at the NYPL's Lunch Hour


Pam, Nat, and I went to the Lunch Hour exhibit tonight.

It was pretty neat.
There's a lot of information and interesting materials.
There were things to touch and interact with too.

In an exploration regarding the writers dining at the Algonquin,
they featured the lovely Dorothy Parker
It's interesting what Dottie's handwriting looks like.

Here's one of her poems:

Inscription for the Ceiling of a Bedroom

I must up, to make my way.
Though I dress and drink and eat,
Move my fingers and my feet,
Learn a little, here and there,
Weep and laugh and sweat and swear,
Hear a song, or watch a stage,
Leave some words upon a page,
Claim a foe, or hail a friend--
Bed awaits me at the end.


Though I go in pride and strength,
I'll come back to bed at length.
Though I walk in blinded woe,
Back to bed I'm bound to go.
High my heart, or bowed my head,
All my days but lead to bed.
Up, and out, and on; and then
Ever back to bed again,
Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall--
I'm a fool to rise at all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails